Skip to main content

WANDERLUST!!!

As the name suggests, it’s the desire to wander which sometimes happens by choice and the other times without one. I have been a true wanderer both in terms of my mind (with innumerable questions) & my feet literally doing the city hopping. I have a few anecdotes from my experiences that I would like to share today that will hopefully give you all a peek-a-boo into my life’s journey so far.

I was born in Mysore, Karnataka the cultural capital of the state as it is widely known, but I’d prefer to call it as one of the most well planned & cleaner cities of India. I received formal education till my engineering in Mysore & having born in the year 1987, my childhood was pretty much the same as that of any 90’s kid across the country. Which means, I had chances of developing cold occasionally due to playing in the mud or rain rather than developing a texting thumb syndrome due to smartphones.
Thank god for that!

I always thought I knew my city very well until my husband who was my then boyfriend busted that bubble. My husband hails from Hiriyur, a small town in Chitradurga another historic place in Karnataka, who had enrolled for an engineering course in Mysore(basically destined to meet me). That’s my first stint with a traveler’s insight. A visitor can know so much more than you do about your own city. He made me realize that I knew only the locations of all the pani puri stalls in the city (perhaps a little more than that).
At that point in my life, never had I thought I would be city hopping henceforth which holds good even today!
As destiny had it, I moved to Pune to do my Masters. I think from then on, I have been haunted with a question “Will I ever get a chance to stay in my hometown for a longer duration?”
So here I was at the juncture of my life, where I formed strong opinions about the city like an outsider just by looking at the badly maintained forts & conveniently felt that my city was much better. Mainly, because I had a bad experience with an auto-rickshaw driver, felt the idlis served were too hard and they didn’t know to prepare filter coffee! However, the Puneite in me had seamlessly taken over my Mysorean emotion. I remember explaining to someone that Pune was like Mysore of Maharashtra because I had found a new home away from home.

Life has its magical ways to teach you lessons like they say, 'What goes around comes around'. I had to stay in Bangalore for 2 months in a hostel during my internship. I had a Bengali roommate who once had a bad experience with an auto-rickshaw driver & decided to hold the entire Bangalore responsible for his bad behavior. Strangely, that’s how visitors judge any new city guys! I could only laugh at my past and wished she would find her Bangalorean connection soon.

On that note, thank god Dubai doesn’t have auto-rickshaws!

My next stop was Hyderabad for my first job. My first salary, my first high of being financially independent. Nevertheless, my struggle with food was still on as I am a vegetarian and u will have to satisfy yourself with dal pappu in Hyderabad for being one. Things got a little better when I got familiar with veg biriyani (though my non vegetarian friends strongly refrain me from using “veg” as a prefix for biriyani). Having had a chance to visit my hometown only for a fortnight every 4 months, I was again left gasping with the same question- “Will I ever get a chance to stay in my hometown for a longer duration?”.

Then, Doha happened!

With Pakistani, Egyptian, Sudanese, Filipino neighbours, the concept of co-existence beyond boundaries practically materialized. Of course, u tend to take a huge learning about one’s culture & cuisine & my first interplay with the middle east folklore has been an everlasting one.

I got my Qatari PR renewed only to find myself applying for a PR in Dubai in the next few months. Apart from meeting all my old friends from Engineering & post graduation who are working here, another best thing that has happened to me is, I have reconnected with my most enjoyed interest that is blogging.
Finally, I got the opportunity to stay in my hometown for a considerable amount of time during my brother’s wedding & relive my growing up days. Trust me; I made the most of it. However, on the last day when one of my cousins remarked that it would be nice if only I could’ve stayed a bit longer, I was amused at my own reaction. I told her I can’t wait to get back to Dubai to my husband & daughter!

About homecoming? 

I have come to realise that home is whom you come to rather than where you go to. I would love to come back home any day to my kids, husband, parents & parents-in-law. This ideal home that can have all my loved ones under one roof resides in my mental celluloid & I wonder if it will ever cease to be a reality.

As I continue to wander, every city I have invested my time in has left a piece of its essence in me & I have left a piece of myself in every place I have touched...

Let's wander, for its true happiness lies in Homecoming.
Happy backpacking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me...

I am curious, tell me everything about thee, an open book I am, you may say I wonder, even an open book has shallow words, spilled rather carelessly, or done willfully I will never know, for you are the master of your secrets I am curious, to know the real thee, who are we really without these secrets? a bunch of lies? you may ask the whys and wherefores  or even dismiss my quest, none of my business you see business is what I bleed at! after devouring everything that you have said, I still look beseechingly at thee, like I am gazing into the infinity of secrets, just to be free from the quest! Inversely, I sense you fighting too covering every chink in your armour to say nothing or to bare it all captivating they are, food for the soul too, you might even take them to your grave! I may say as I please, in fact, you are brave! yet, I beseech you, tell me your secrets I am curious It is because I care, I will consider and cover! I can play with the words,  but truth be told, I am just c

One Hairy Day....

One thing that has remained constant among the world humans under this lockdown (forced & self) is their involuntary quest for both introspection and extrospection. Whether we want it or not, life has boiled down to the bare essentials even for the fortunate ones. while we women fight for equal treatment as that of our male counterparts, nature has done its bit in making us realise that women and men are just a few levels of androgen apart. All thanks to the salons being shut. Some of us who are not that good at DIY techniques can give a complex to the males in the locked house with our bushy eyebrows, noticeable moustaches and a dash of beard. Among the thousands of forwards being forwarded during this lockdown, there was one such forward that resonated with my current feeling. So, I too mindlessly forwarded the same to the other groups without knowing there would be a backlash by a man! Yes, a man stating that, I shouldn't be engaging in gender discrimination.  

Moral Flexibility;)

I really think "Moral flexibility" is one of the traits which need to be mentioned in my CV hereafter along with stuff like "Responsible", "Diligent", Blah blah.... My rules were very simple before I began working. You are bad- I am bad. You are good- I am very good (I get a little carried away ;-)). This was morality to me in its simplest form. It happened so that I applied for leave last week and I had mentioned the dates denoting my leave of absence(it summed up to a week including 2 Sundays and a Saturday). But, (The volatile rules of English allows the usage of conjunctions in the beginning of the sentences provided the strong requirement of the same is justifiable and this one surely is) my boss who is so used to me not applying for leave didn't happen to see the dates and he assumed that I am only going for 3 days alike most of them in my office who are all localities, damn it. Therefore, my leave was approved! Actually only my leave was appr